Shingled Roofs in Ontario – How Often Should You Replace Your Home’s Roof Shingles?
Sunday, March 25th, 2018 at 8:30 am , By C Plus Roofing
Most residential roofs in Ontario are shingled. When comparing roofing options, one of the top questions homeowners ask is about how long shingles will last and how often shingles should be replaced.
Naturally, the longer the better, right? However, there are a series of factors that will play a role in how many years you will get out of your shingles. They include:
- Sun exposure: Greater exposure to the sun will make shingle deteriorate faster than shingles with less sun exposure.
- Weather conditions: Extremely hot summers or very old cold winters will wear down your shingles quicker.
- Roof slope: Shingles on steeper roof slops tend to last longer.
- Type of shingles: You will get less time out of lower quality shingles.
- How shingles are installed: Always have your shingles installed by a trained professional.
How Often Should You Replace Your Homes Roof?
The answer to this question will always be it depends. Most people can expect to get about 15-20 years out of their shingles. Some get more, some get less. If you choose high quality shingles, have our roof re-shingled by a professional roofing company and do your part to properly maintain your roof you will get more time out of it.
Also, if you notice an issue with your roof, have it addressed right away. There are a number of signs that it’s time to repair or replace shingles. They included peeling, cracks, missing colour granules, loosening of nails from the roof sheathing and more.
Give us a call if you notice these signs and we’ll help you get the most out of your residential shingled roof.
Learn More About Your Home’s Shingled Roof