What are the main types of roofing materials used in Canada?
January 28, 2016 at 9:59 am
From a cost performance perspective, which type of material is the best?
We recommend asphalt shingles over other roofing materials. Here are some drawbacks to other roofing materials:
- The biggest drawback to tile is that it’s heavy. The roof truss may not be able to hold the weight and moss can easily grows on it. It also needs to be frequently cleaned.
- A wood shake roof usually costs more. Small animals can also be a problem to it. A short service life is another drawback.
- The main disadvantages of metal roofing are sound proof problems and poor heat shielding performance, which results in more heat in the summer and a high rate of heat loss in winter.
Why are asphalt roof shingles the most popular choice for roofing material?
- Asphalt roof shingles are known for their long lifespan, light weight, safety and aesthetic appearance.
- All asphalt roof shingles are guaranteed for 25 to 30 years of service life by manufacturers (Partly under certain conditions).
- Asphalt roof shingles are light-weight andreduce pressure on your roof structure.
- Asphalt roof shingles can minimize casualties during an earthquake.
- Asphalt roof shingles may contain copper or tin materials to discourage moss growth on the roof.
Why are composite shingles the most popular choice for roofing material?
- Composite shingles are known for their lifespan, lighter weight, safety and aesthetic appearance.
- Compared with other roofing materials, composite shingles require lower maintenance cost
- Compared with asphalt roof shingles of the same size, composition shingles are lighter.
- Of all roofing materials, composite shingles creates the strongest dimensional effect.
- Composite shingles can be cleaned with high strength cleaning equipment such as a pressure washer.
What is the best way to care for and maintain the wood shake and shingle roof?
According to the Ontario Roofing Association, wood shake and shingle roofing should be cleaned with a broom and water. Pressure washing is not recommended. Repainting should also be avoided. The effects of these efforts are temporary and wood shakes may continue to become darker and cracks may appear.